Think all medications are good for your body?
Unfortunately so many medication that we use on a daily basis aren’t good for us. Not only do they end up giving us horrible side effects, but they end up causing so many other problems!
When I was in high school I had what s diagnosed as bad acid reflux. (Add link) I was put on proton pump inhibitor medications. I developed vocal nodules and even had to spend a few weeks not singing and minimally talking. It was over Christmas too, that was not a fun year at all! I continued to have stomach problems to which no doctor could ever tell me what was wrong. I kept food journals, did every test under the sun, yet still no diagnosis.
Fast forward literally 12 years later and I finally get a diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. Once I start doing more research, I finally started to connect the dots.
So many autoimmune and chronic illnesses are caused by leaky guts. (Link). Well guessssss what folks. Leaky guts can be caused by x y and z and NSAIDS! What do you think I used to live on? Especially in high school? And then again when I was working right before I had a big flare? Ibuprofen. So now I know what was causing my ‘acid reflux’ all the naproxen! And now I know what was causing me to have horrible stomach pains.
I’m not completely against medicine. Shit, I take some of the highest powered drugs out there. There is always a time and place for medication. Always. But, there’s also always room for natural solutions as well. Whenever we put medications and toxins into our system we overload our liver. In order to heal ourselves we need to take some of the load away from our liver. In switching out some of our commonly used toxic products, for natural solutions, we can start to make a huge difference in the ecosystem of our bodies.
So what are the differences between modern medicine and natures medicine?
- These drugs are designed to manage symptoms and often they just mask them.
- Prescription drugs are made from isolated synthetic agents designed to mimic natural substances.
- All drugs have side effects and the misuse of prescription drugs has devastating consequences.
- Annually, $4.5 trillion dollars is spent globally on healthcare.
- Are we healthier because of it?
- Nature’s medicine helps support the body by minimizing symptoms and addressing root causes.
- One of the most effective forms of natural medicine are essential oils. Essential oils are natural aromatic compounds found in plants. They are essential to the life of the plant and to the life of people on our planet. Plants are used in many different ways for helping and healing others but the most concentrated way to use them is in the form of essential oils.
- Essential oils are used safely and without harmful side effects.
- Another benefit is that they cost pennies per dose. They also can be administered in the comfort of your own home, reducing trips to the doctor, exposure to other illnesses, and co-pays.
If you look at a magnified picture of a peppermint leaf (on the right!), you will see the little sacs that contain the essential oil. Peppermint tea is a wonderful, soothing drink and is often used for its healing properties and yet it takes 28 cups of tea to equal the power found in just one drop of peppermint oil.
Important: DoTERRA does not claim to diagnose, prevent, treat, or cure disease. If you are under a doctor’s supervision, please consult with them before making any changes. Our roles is to teach you ways that you can help your body heal itself. Essential Oils are an amazing tool to do just that.
Let me give you a little more information about how powerful essential oils can be in addressing your concerns & goals.
- Essential oils are 50-70 times more powerful than herbs.
- They kill bacteria and inhibit the growth of viruses.
- They enter the bloodstream within 30 seconds.
- Essential oils are a natural antibiotic and have the ability to kill bacteria. (Refer to the cell diagram) Beyond that, they are able to penetrate the outer membrane of the cell wall. This means that essential oils can go to work against viruses, too.
So, if you go to the doctor and he says, “You have a virus. Go home, rest, and drink lots of fluids. There isn’t anything else we can do.” You CAN do something else. Use your essential oils to help fight viruses! One of the biggest perks of essential oils is that they are friendly to all the natural safety barriers in the body.
Essential oils are derived from plants by extraction processes. The most commonly used is a steam distillation process. The other is a cold pressed extraction process. Many companies produce or use essential oils but not all essential oil products are equal. In fact, some could be very toxic and harmful to our bodies.
There are different grades and it is important to be aware of the distinctions.
- The lowest grade of essential oils are synthetic and are produced in labs that have copied
the components of the oil. These oils are very low quality and are used in lotions and perfumes.
- Next are food grade essential oils. These are used to flavor foods like lemon in salad
dressings or cinnamon chewing gum.
- The next grade, intended for a health benefit, is therapeutic grade. This has held the
standard in the essential oil industry for the last 30 years. These are the oils that are found
in health food stores and used in the health industry. These oils have served well but now
things are even better.
DoTERRA has established a new standard in essential oils called Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (or CPTG). DoTERRA set this standard by demanding the highest quality in all aspects of growing, processing, and distributing essential oils. DoTERRA is committed to obtaining oils from the original source. So they buy oils from growers that they select, train and monitor from all over the world. For example, Lavender comes from France and Frankincense comes directly from Oman. After the oils are obtained, they are processed in the manner best suited to that plant. Then they undergo third party testing in two independent labs to certify each batch of oil is pure. There are no synthetics, impurities or chemicals. If a batch does not meet this high standard, it does not make its way into bottles.
Do you use something everyday that’s not listed? Mention it in the comments and I’ll give you an alternative for it! Make sure to refer to last weeks Wellness Wednesday post for common beauty product alternatives!
The last 3 weeks I’ve given you a lot of information on detoxing your body by switching the products you use on a regular basis. It can be a VERY DAUNTING task. Start small and make gradual changes. Rome wasn’t built in a day so don’t try to take it all on at once!
Have questions? Reach out to me!! I’d love to help you make changes for the better. You can email me or use my contact page!
Cheers to detoxing and to good health!
Wishing You A Pain Free Day!